Tuesday 25 November 2008

Looking back makes you appreciate things you sometimes take for granted.

As some of you know ,I have tried a few different medications and some suited me other didn't.
For example when I first started using betaferons it was trial and error with me.
Beta interferon was the first desease modifying drug I tried (every other day injections). I started having quite bad site reactions and my relaspes got more frequent and severe, time was called on that drug.
Then I gave Avonex a go. It was a weekly injection and to start with all seemd ok , even getting over how big I thought the needle was. Then site reactions got worse and I became tearful before each injection that my neurolgist suggested I stopped taking it.
Now I am on copaxone (daily injections). I have a self injector and very few side effects, it fits into my daily routine well , infact I am so relaxed self injecting now , remakable really as I was so needle phobic after I finished taking avonex!
Its been about 13 months now since I started taking copaxone, I am sure my relaspes are less frequent and I seem to recover quicker.
I am very thankful I was eligable for this drug as it isnt cheap! I am thankful for my doctor and neurologist and thankful for the NHS.
You sometimes have to look back to realise what has happened and how things have turned out.

2 comments:

Lisa Cobler said...

Glad Copaxone is working for you. I took it for six months and had awful injection site reactions. I'm not taking anything now. I hope it continues to work for you.

Clare said...

I do get site reactions but not as bad as some people I have spoken to.
I dont inject arms as they show in summer all rest is safely hidden away lol.